Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Colour Poem Global Twitter Project #1 (Week 1): RED poems with Grade 1

I met Linda Yollis at the New York Google Teacher Academy – and since I had been a great fan of her blog up till then meeting her in person was a great highlight! When I noticed recently that she had started a Colour poem Global Twitter project I was very keen to join http://goo.gl/YtbFkg.

The goal of the project

The object of this collaborative project is to share original poems, create colourful digital images, and publish through classroom Twitter accounts using the hashtag #clrpoem! Each week a colour of the visible spectrum will be showcased! We’ll be following the colour spectrum ROY G BIV (red-orange-yellow-green-blue-*indigo-violet) 

Step 1: Create a class Twitter account
I set this up, after much thought as @ICTclasstweets:

image

Step 2: Get busy with Week 1 of the project
Mrs Yollis’ instructions: “This week, we are seeing RED! Shoot a photo of something red, compose a little poetry to complement the photo, and tweet it out! Remember, use the hashtag #clrpoem”. I thought I would involve my Grade 1, Grade 2 and Grade 3 students in this project.

Step 3: Take a look at the hashtag #clrpoem
The Grade 1s and 2s loved looking through this hashtag and reading the tweets about red poems.

image


image


image


Step 4: Get started with Red Poems from Grade 1
I thought we would start with Grade 1 doing the colour RED. We did our poems during ICT class using Microsoft Paint. It worked really well as we were able to save these as JPEGs immediately.

Slide1 Slide2
Slide3 Slide4
Slide5  Slide6 
Slide7  Slide8
Slide9 Slide10

I thought I would tweet Mika’s using the #clrpoem hashtag!

Evaluation
This was quite a mission with Grade 1s! We did this in steps:
  • We read other people's poems first on the  #clrpoem hashtag and discussed the images.  
  • We learned how to open Google Images using Chrome and we searched for red items. They pasted their image into Paint.
  • We used the Text option and started writing. I walked around helping them to spell words.
  • We saved the work.
  • We got finished! (I wondered if we would)

No comments:

Post a Comment