Monday, March 5, 2018

We have joined the 2018 Student Blogging Challenge



I am joining two grades to the 2018 Student Blogging Challenge which is run by Edublogs - Grade 5 and Grade 6. My Grade 3, 4 and 7 classes also have blogs so those will dip into the challenge now and again. All my students from Grade 3 – 7 have blogs as this is a fantastic way to learn about online safety. The blogging challenge starts at the beginning of March – this week is Week 1! I have also registered to be a commenter on some of the blogs.

How to join the challenge

Step 1: Register

The first step is for students to register on the required page https://goo.gl/wtMuNS by filling in the Google form. This is what it says on the page (I am adding the info here so that I can refer to it).

"Who should register
  • Only students who have their own personal blog can register
  • Students who want to connect with other students around the world
  • Register only once – I can usually work out incorrect URLs by visiting class blogs or contacting teachers
A few days after you have registered
1. Check the student participants page which will appear in the header area to make sure you are there. Check very carefully under your age group as we don’t need names being doubled up

2. If you are not on the participants page, register again being careful that your blog URL is correct.

3. If you are on the participants list, start visiting other students your age or with your interests.

4. Fill in the subscription by email widget so you are notified when posts are published each week – first challenge will be March 4 or if you have Edublogs reader, click on follow then you will be able to read posts in your reader.

5. Make sure you have some great posts written so others can start leaving comments.”

6. There is a Twitter hashtag for this event, so I will use that - #stubc - to notify others of our posts."

Step 2: Add the blogging challenge badge
The badge can be found on the page https://goo.gl/tsSZtb. It needs to be added to the sidebar of each participating blog.
                                 
Step 3:  Enter a class blog
You can also enter a class blog. This is mainly teachers with classes – and the blog would be all about their classes. I am wondering if it would be worth my while to add my technology blog since I am the ICT teacher at school and don’t teach one particular class but rather all the classes. Yes, I think I will!

Step 4: Add your student blogs to your blog sidebar 
Since I have decided to enter my blog as a class blog this applies to me. This is what the post found at https://goo.gl/xRtPNx says:

“Below is the list of classes taking part in the challenge. Remember to visit classes with similar age groups as your blog. Leave comments on their posts, if they have student blogs on the sidebar- comment on their posts.

When your class has completed a post for the weekly challenge, please come back to that post and add the URL to the form so our commenters can visit and check out your class and student blogs.”

This is to remind me about what to do when the class has completed a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment