Saturday, September 8, 2018

Dot Day fun with the Quiver App in Grades 1, 2 and 3

Do you know the Quiver app? It is a 3D colouring-in application based on augmented reality technology. It is available on both the Apple and the Android store. My Grade 1-3 classes have had a lot of fun with this app as part of our International Dot Day Global connection via a collaborative blog with three classes in Australia, the United States and Canada. QuiverVision has partnered with Dot Day, so it is added as an activity on our 'International Dot Day project' blog.


My Grade 1 lesson using Quiver
We used Quiver in conjunction with Paint 3D. My Grade 1s created colourful dots on our Windows 10 computers and watched them come alive. My students were amazed to see what they saw! I loved the shouts of excitement

This is what happened in our lesson.
  • I downloaded and imported the Dot Page from the Quiver site and converted it into a JPG image. (This sheet is also available for download from our International Dot Day project blog).
  • The students imported this image into Paint 3D. It was the first time that we had used Paint 3D so that was a fun experience as well. In this instance we used it as a 2D application.
  • The students coloured in their dots using Paint 3D.
  • We then looked at them using the Quiver app on my cell phone.
Importing the Quiver dot image into Paint 3D
Viewing the dot on the computer screen through the Quiver app.
The dots come to life!



The brief video below shows the ball 'quivering'.


When using the selfie mode on the app, the ball became small. I was amused at the way some of the grade 1s tried to get the ball into their mouths!




Our Grade 2 and 3 lesson using Quiver
In this lesson I printed the downloaded Quiver Dot Day PDFs and we coloured them in during our computer lesson. We then used the Quiver app to make the dots come alive. The Grade 2s and 3s hadn’t used Quiver yet and they were very excited about their dots that turning into 3D balls. Here are some pictures with their comments:


This is amazing!
The ball keeps growing!
It is bigger than my head
I wonder if this is a chocolate
This is such fun
I have got to get this in my mouth

Here is a video I found on Vimeo showing Tina Schmidt's class colouring in Quiver dots and then using the app to create 3D images. This will show you more or less what my class experienced.

Celebrating Dot Day 2014 from Tina Schmidt on Vimeo.

How to use the Quiver app for educational purposes
The Quiver website has a number of different drawings that can be downloaded and transformed into 3D drawings for different subjects. I thought I would use the photos of my students with their 3D dot day balls in one of the following ways:
  • as a story prompt for a quick imaginative story about a dot that came alive. 
  • for a guided poetry-writing activity.
  • as a mapping adventure showing the journey of the ball as it leaves the classroom.
  • to create a story by selecting from a number of headings such as:
    "The princess's magic ball''
    "A trip to China with a magic ball'
    "Travelling in a hot balloon''
    "The day my team won the soccer match"
    'Flying around with my magic ball"
    ...along with any other headings that the class suggests
Could you think of any further ideas? 

No comments:

Post a Comment