Sunday, February 28, 2016

The magic of using PowerPoint for story writing in Grade 2 and displaying their stories online!

I am always searching for creative writing ideas especially for the ICT classes of younger students that I teach. Recently I was looking around the blog of a local computer teacher at Bridge House and I saw that she mentioned a wonderful Literacy website called Communication 4 All. When I opened the page that she referenced I was really excited. I knew that our Grade 1s and 2s would LOVE using one of these freely downloadable templates for story writing.

Take a look at  http://www.communication4all.co.uk/http/StoryMaker.htm 

Let me introduce you to a few of these band then show what the Grade 2s did with them:

a) Well-known stories



b) Winter stories
 c) Spring stories


d) Summer stories


e) Autumn stories


f) Historical stories


g) Pirate stories


With my Grade 2 class I gave them a choice of which template they would like to download and strangely enough they all wanted to write about Easter! (They are all looking forward to Easter it seems). Two of the students finished their stories today. I found that OneDrive is great for publishing these PowerPoints online so that the class can share them with their parents. One Drive is a free Microsoft application that gives you free access to a range of Microsoft Office products https://onedrive.live.com If you would like to see how I uploaded these stories to PowerPoint Online in One Drive please visit this post on the SchoolNet blog where I have outlined the process in detail.

The results are shown below. I'm sure you'll agree that displaying these stories on One Drive is a great way to share them with the world.








No comments:

Post a Comment