Saturday, August 27, 2016

Hyperdoc poetry lesson: If I were in charge of the world

I came across this lovely lesson idea on Laura Chandler's wonderful poetry page:  http://www.lauracandler.com/filecabinet/literacy/poetry.php : At the bottom of the page she has a section called:

Poetry Multimedia Project - If I Were In Charge of the World
"Idea submitted by Radene Girola
Last year one of my newsletter subscribers described a wonderful multimedia project she does with her students. She uses PhotoStory 3 which can be downloaded for free from Microsoft, but other multimedia programs would work as well. Radene has her students take the poem "If I Were in Charge of the World" by Judith Viorst and asks them to rewrite it in their own words and create a PhotoStory. She sent me a sample PhotoStory she created for her students, and I have her permission to post it online. Please be aware that this file requires Windows Media Player, and if you have a Mac you might not be able to view the file. (Download the free VLC player fromhttp://vlc.us.com and that should allow you to view it.) She also sent me her lesson overview. I have omitted the original poem by Judith Viorst due to copyright concerns, but you can order the book from Amazon.com or look for it in your library. Take a look at Radene's sample PhotoStory and prepare to be inspired! This would make a great end-of-the-year project! If you have questions about this activity, feel free to contact Radene at radene.girola@comcast.net."

I felt this would make a perfect lesson for my Grade 6 class and I decided to create a Hyperdoc lesson.
Reusing an already created Hyperdoc
I found a suitable Hyperdoc that someone had already created called "If I were President" which I copied into my own Google Drive. https://goo.gl/I87EyJ . I then changed it: https://goo.gl/zCj4QP

The original Hyperdoc:


My changed Hyperdoc:


Examples
I was really thrilled with the poems my students created. They used images and their own voice with created music. 

Example 1:



Example 2:

No comments:

Post a Comment