Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Fun using Storybird

This morning I tried out Storybird on one of my Grade 7 classes. All these lovely, free, creative writing applications available on the web are really fascinating, and fantastic! In Storybird, the starting point is art, and you get your inspiration from choosing an interesting piece of art created by an artist. Once you have chosen your piece of art and you start your storybird, you are presented with another myriad of pictures (perhaps as many as 100) that match the original choice in one way or another. I think it is a very clever idea. The class found this very engaging and became quite absorbed in the task. What I love is when they ask if they can carry on at home! Only five completely finished their storybirds in the hour, and I allowed them to publish them without any further editing from me! Risky! Nevertheless here they are:

Chemar7 (her online name)
No Ordinary Day by chemar7 on Storybird

Ellvis7

All of my crazy, weird ,stupid, at times annoying , loud and caring friends by ellvis7 on Storybird

Bontun7
RUPHERS THE MOON RABBIT by bontun7 on Storybird

Ethwes7
The new kid by ethwes7 on Storybird

Zoemor7
The Mermaids Treasu by zoemor7 on Storybird

Tylviv7
THE EVILPEOPLE by tylviv7 on Storybird

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely brilliant! Well done everyone. I think I laughed out loud, or jumped in amazement at nearly every one of those incredible stories. I will have to have a play with storybird. Thank you for sharing, and please feel free to visit my grade 3/4 blog at www.erutherford.global2.vic.edu.au and comment on our work too.
    Regards
    Mrs. Rutherford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona Beal,

    Your students did a great job on writing storybirds without your editing. You must have a great group of students. I learned about collaborative story writing with storybird on Mr. Avery's class blog http://mravery.edublogs.org/2011/12/18/storytime/. It is a really neat way to have students learn from students outside of their classroom, state, or even country! I have also used storybird with my after school students and on my blog http://mrstezzi.edublogs.org/. I have created a separate tab from "student stories" so other people can comment on their writing specifically. If you get a chance check out my blog and leave a comment!

    Sincerely,
    Mr. Stezzi

    ReplyDelete