Thursday, March 14, 2013

Web Tools #30: Add speech bubbles to a photo online and then download the photo


Submitted by Fiona Beal. This is the last in my series of 30 Days of Web Tools series - but of course I continue adding many web tool posts in the days to come
I came across the coolest website today called Phrase.it (http://phrase.it.)  It is a very easy to use tool where you simply upload your photo (or select it from Facebook), add your bubble and text and then save it.  Let’s go through it.

1. Open Phrase.it

image


2. Add your photo
You can import from Facebook, upload one or use a random stock photo. I added one from the TeachMeet in East London on Tuesday. I notice that the image must be over 400kb. Phrase.it gives you little messages as it uploads – it goes very quickly. I am using a photo from the TeachMeet at East London on Tuesday.

image



3. Add your speech bubbles

image



4. Preview what you have done

image


5. Save and download
You have various options. One is to email it. I chose download. A little box comes up as you download to see if you want to display it on any social media.  There is also an option to make an optional monetary donation.

image


6. View the final result

qvc9fq


I must confess, I need to play around with it a bit. I couldn’t get the speech bubbles to go any smaller, for example. I also couldn’t raise them so that the end bit didn’t overlap with a person’s face. But I love this idea of adding speech bubbles to photos quickly. Phase.it is quick and easy.

Classroom use
1. Use this in the classroom for a board display.
2. Let your students upload a photo of themselves and add something that says something about themselves, their charactger, their opinion etc.

2. Just have fun with it.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I can see uses for teaching inferential thinking

    ReplyDelete