Thursday, February 23, 2017

Student Blogging Challenge #2: Grade 7 avatars - using Brickapic

We are getting our blogs ready for the Edublogs Student Blogging Challenge which begins at the beginning of March.  This week we are creating avatars. I am going to use three different avatar sites this year. n this post we'll look at Brick-a-pic which I used with Grade 7.

Grade 7 avatars - use Brickapic


I am cross-posting some information from a post that I wrote for the Schoolnet blog in 2016 which contains information on Bric-a pic. Brick-A-Pic is found at http://me.brickapic.com/.  This is a web-based site where you simply upload an image to the site and follow the prompts;and Brick--a-pic turns your image into a stunning LEGO® brick mosiac. You can view your image from different angles and then you can save your image to your computer. I used this in my Grade 7 class with very pleasing effects. Let me show you how it works.

How to use Brick-A-Pic
Before the lesson starts make sure that you have taken a portrait photo of each student and that these are uploaded to a place where your students can access them easily.

1. Open Brick-A-Pic and upload an image
Go to http://me.brickapic.com/.  When Brick-A-Pic opens on its landing page you'll be asked to choose and upload an image. The preview box underneath will give an idea of the image. When you upload your image you'll see how it looks. I'll use an image of myself as an example. 


 

2. View your image from different angles
You can bring  your image in closer or move it further away

3. View the result
I saved a close-up version and a distant version of my image.




To save your image all you do, if you are using Google Chrome, is right click on the image and save it in your chosen destination. 
4. Image options
Brick-a-pic does give some save options underneath the image, which will probably come into effect if you are using a browser different to Chrome. (I am not sure how other browsers work with this site.


Examples of my student's Brick-A-Pic images
This was a simple easy-to-use site. No sign-in was needed. The class had a lot of fun creating their lego-like avatars in this lesson. We are using them on their blogs as profile pictures


Try using Brick-A-Pic. Your students will enjoy the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment