Monday, September 20, 2021

Our Grade 2 'Dot' map stories to celebrate International Dot Day 15th September 2021 -

I am always excited about Dot Day on 15 September. What is Dot Day? It is HUGE around the world! Dot Day was inspired by Peter Reynold's story 'The Dot'. The message is simple but profound: “Start with a dot and see where it will take you,” It is an encouragement to children to find their gift and make their mark in their community. I love this positive approach. Children all over the world love celebrating International Dot Day.


Dot Day in 2019 was especially exciting. My classes were part of a Team blog made up of students from four different continents. (The Team blog can be found at https://dotday.edublogs.org/) We did activities together and the teachers and students loved every minute. I wrote six posts about it on my blog here: https://bit.ly/3EKK0KY 

This year My Grade 2s participated in Dot Day. First we read Peter Reynold's famous and lovely story, 'The Dot' online and discussed it. Children love this story. So do I. Here it is below: 


Our map story activity

1. After reading and disussing the story, we used our imaginations and wrote about a dot taking us on a trip around the world  I gave them maps of the world.  You can find the template here: https://bit.ly/3o355dx

2. The class copied and pasted textboxes and arrows at various places on the map,  and wrote about their journey around the world. 

Examples

Here are some examples of their work.


No comments:

Post a Comment