Monday, November 14, 2011

Why not use Screencast-o-matic to create instructions for technology lessons?


I love Screencasting as a teaching tool. Up to now I have tried Jing, and even paid for Jing pro. Then I heard about Screenr and tried that. It seemed to me that Screenr did what Jing Pro does. Today the thought came to me that I should try Screencast-o- matic. (http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/)

The site tells me that it is the original Screencast programme. That’s interesting!

image

There is a demo video to watch. I must say, after watching it there seem to be some very nice features in Sceencast-o-matic! Two things I REALLY like is the fact that  your maximum time with the free version is 15 minutes, and that you can upload directly to your YouTube channel.

image

The next thing to do would be to join the site, It is all free. I joined and found there is a Pro version, but it may not be necessary to have all those extra features for my use.

How to use Screencast-o-matic

1. Click on Start Recording

image

You’ll notice that a dotted line block appears. At the bottom you can choose the screensize that you want. I really like this feature.

2. Find the page on the internet that you want to start recording from

image

3. Check your settings

Check the little arrow next to the microphone to make sure you have the right microphone checked (I find that headphones work the best).


Press the red arrow and start recording. You can press it again to pause during your recording session and then continue if you want to.


When you are finished press the word Done. It will take you to a preview page.

4. Listen and decide

image

If you like what you hear you can press one of the options on the right (or all three one after the other):

* Upload directly to YouTube
* Save in your Screencasts section on Screencast-o-matic
* Download it as a video.


Another feature I really like is that you can arrange your screencasts in folders on Screencast-o-matic’s ‘My Screencasts’ channel page.

image

I really like this Screencasting programme very much. It just seems to offer me exactly what I am looking for.

An example that I made

I made a recording entitled ‘How to write a comment on a blog’. Here it is:


Ideas for the classroom using Screencast-o-matic

1. Use it to present a lesson online. It can be used to cater for diverse levels of understanding.
2. Use it to explain a homework task. The students can then go over things at home.
3. Students that have been absnt can use it to catch up tasks.
4. The students themselves can use screencasts to illustrate something they have learned.
5. Screencast-o-Matic is perfect for illustrating research methods, and musical instrument tutorials,
6. Teachers can use it to give parents and students simple directions on how to use the class website or wiki

…and much, much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment