Monday, January 5, 2015

One word for 2015 - 'Reimagine' (and step out!)

This Listly list of blogs based on selecting one word for 2015 to shape one’s life rather than a bunch of New Year's resolutions caught my eye and really got me thinking. http://goo.gl/5PnmxR

This set me thinking. What could my word be? What would I like it to be? The question is – how will I work out all the challenges and opportunities of this New Year around the one word I choose so that it can in fact shape my path. A few words are flying through my mind, hovering for a while and then flying around – write, gratitude, involvement, courage, fearless, growth, adventure, confidence, step-out, unfold, enjoy … What will it be? This word needs to inspire, encourage and motivate me throughout my 2015 journey. By exercising --- (my word) I want to be able to enjoy an incredible year, make bold decisions and do things that embrace this word and contribute to my personal growth.

The word that keeps coming to me is RISK! Help! That is something I tend to avoid usually! Let’s think about it…
  • Do I want to experience RISK in my various relationships
  • Do I want to make RISK part of my character so to speak 
  • Will I embrace RISK in my job and take steps I have never taken before?
  • Will I make RISK count in my church activities?
  • Will I make RISK an integral part of my day?
Perhaps my word should have a hyphen CALCULATED-RISK! That doesn’t sound as frightening!  Well, maybe all risk is calculated – so maybe I should leave it as plain RISK. It is a huge step for me! I saw this quote on another blogpost about a one word for 2015  http://goo.gl/W1UDF... and it seems to fit my word RISK so well!



Oh no! After looking up the online dictionary  definition  of RISK it implies danger and more. No, it is not quite the right word.  Perhaps RE-IMAGINE is better. I like that word re-imagine. How can I re-magine my spiritual life, my work life, my family life, my day to day life. Yes, that is the much better word.

The Oxford dictionary says, "Reinterpret (an event, work of art, etc.) imaginatively; rethink. See something in anew way adding imagination, rethink it in a way that makes it work better.

But actually the word is incomplete. I think I need two words or a little phrase. The word needs to add something that shows that action follows.

What about ‘reimagine fearlessly?’ Or ‘reimagine and step out’, ‘reimagine and take the chance’, ‘reimagine and just do it!’ Oh my the thoughts are coming fast and furious. I like that last one because sometimes I can see something imaginatively and just leave it there to be snatched away by indecision, fear, doubt.

YES! Reimagine is my word! I'll follow it with (and step out). "

"Reimagine (and step out)!

No comments:

Post a Comment