Thursday, May 3, 2012

Explore the magic of Microsoft's SongSmith


Microsoft's SongSmith is such a fun free tool to use in the classroom. If you join Microsoft's Partners in Learning Network as an educator you can download and install this programme for free. It is really worth it!

SongSmith generates musical accompaniment to match a singer’s voice. Basically, you choose a musical style and beat from their options, sing into your PC’s microphone, and SongSmith cleverly creates backing music for you. That song can be saved and shared with students, friends and family, posted online, or even used to create your own music videos. I used to use it as a reward session for those students who had completed their required tasks, and it was always a big hit!

Introducing SongSmith

This is one of my favourite videos about Microsoft SongSmith. I find the story a bit cumbersome at times but the video definitely highlights the essence of the programme.




How do you use SongSmith?


Here is a tutorial on how to use SongSmith from the UK Partners in Learning YouTube channel.

 

This is my version of how to install and use SongSmith.

Microsoft's SongSmith and how to use it
View more presentations from fionabeal.

Classroom uses of SongSmith

I have been collecting ideas on how to use SongSmith in the classroom. Here are a few of them.Maybe you have some other ideas to contribute?
Classroom uses of SongSmith
View more presentations from fionabeal.

I am sure you'll find this Microsoft free tool very engaging and very useful especially if you are a teacher. Why not give it a try?

2 comments:

  1. The UK PILN video link crashes on me every time. Slideshare link works fine. Not sure if I can implement this particular Programme in my class...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The UK PILN video link crashes on me every time. Slideshare link works fine. Not sure if I can implement this particular Programme in my class...

    ReplyDelete