Thursday, July 12, 2018

Getting to know Samsung Note 8: #1: Moving data from an old phone to a new one

I have just got my new Samsung upgrade - a Note 8 - and am sitting here opening up the box. Whew! The reason I wanted to get the Note 8 is because of the stylus! Hopefully Samsung has sorted out the problems of the note 7! I am EXCITED but this is going to take some thinking - moving everything across from my Samsung S7 to the Note 8. Where do I start!? Thank goodness for the Internet,  and especially YouTube. I thought that I would write a series of  blog posts on what I learn about the Note 8 to keep a record of my learning!


Here are my starting questions:
I thought that the best way to start is to write down my main questions at this stage.
  1. How do I set it all up?
  2. At what stage do I add my current Gmail address?
  3. Should I skip face recognition, fingerprint and iris recognition for now and just do a pin code until I am more familiar with everything?
  4. How does the Smartswitch app work for moving data across?
  5. How do I remove my Gmail and Samsung details from my old phone?
An overall view of the Galaxy Note 8
It is probably best to first get an overall view of the Note 8,
Video 1: 20+ Galaxy Note Tips and Tricks (20 mins): http://bit.ly/2m6LtUA


This video gives the following tips:
1. Make use of a wireless charger. One has to buy this separately.
2. The Always On display.
3. New features on the Spen.
4. Different home screen settings
5. Hide applications
6. Brightness toggle. 
7. Multi window
8. Smart capture for screenshots
9. One-handed mode
10. How to extend your battery life.
11. Changing app shortcuts on the lock screen

The last few tips were for advanced users (developer mode?!) so I will come back to that later.
OK. I am convinced that this is a great phone with some amazing features.

Where do I start?
I think I should now watch the video that preceded the one above. This video shows the first ten things one should o with the Note 8
Video 2: Samsung Note 8: First 10 things you should do! (16.28 mins) http://bit.ly/2zeD3nB 

.
This video gives the following tips:
1. Expandable storage using a SD card.
2. Change out the button layout of the apps.
3. Customize colours'
4. Unlock with home button
5. Security matters - face, fingerprints, iris and pin
6. Smart lock'
7. Always on display
8. Blue light filter
9. Themes'
10. Enable quick camera for taking pictures.
11. Enabling and isabling the edge panel.
12. Bixby
13. Google Assistant

Actually this video was interesting but too advanced for my knowledge at the moment. What I really want to know is how to set up the phone. At the MTN shop they checked the box contents and everything that is supposed to be there is there. They also put the SIM card in. But that is all they did!

How to set up the phone
This is what I want , I think.
Video 3: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Data Transfer from Older Device: (5.24 mins)  http://bit.ly/2m81MR1



This video gives the following tips:
Actually this one is perfect. it shows how to get going once the sim card is in, and it takes one through all the set up tips.  It shows how to use Smart Switch on both phones to transfer the data. Yep, this was excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment