Monday, August 9, 2021

Using Canva to create animated posters in Grade 4


Canva is a fantastic tool for learning. A picture is worth a 1000 words and my students are continually inspired by all the beautiful designs in Canva  I am using Canva in different ways  with my Grade 4 class of 9 and 10 year olds.  

In the lesson described below I wanted to get them familiar with animation so I thought we should make a poster. There are several ways to use animation in Canva, but I thought we would start with the simplest way – “Find an animated image and make it your own.”

The task

I asked my class to think about an important event that was coming up in their lives in the next week or two, find an animated image that they liked, and then change the image accordingly to make it a personal poster. One girl was going horse-riding and was very excited about this event. Two were attending birthday parties. One was getting a new puppy. And so the list continued... The class loved what they discovered in Canva.

Here are four examples of what the class came up with:

     





I am really hoping that I will be able to get the Canva for Education free account for teachers (Canva is available for free globally to all educational institutions and qualified teachers with proof of teaching certification). Then I will make use of some of these tips from the video below with my Grade 4 class in one of their upcoming lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment