Tuesday, August 17, 2021

The Grade Ones had fun making Gingerbread houses using Google Sheets

The template is on the right, and the student's work on the left

I absolutely love using Google Classroom on our Chromebooks with the Grade Ones.  They find their way around so easily. They log into their Chromebooks, and find Google Classroom just like that.  

Today I wanted them to get acquainted with Google Sheets. All the instructions and templates can be found in their Google Classroom - each student gets their own copy of everything.  Our lesson was divided into three parts. 

1. First we learned about Google Sheets and practised drawing a staircase up and down to get familiar with colouring in cells. We also created other simple drawings.

2. After that we listened to the story of the Gingerbread Man on YouTube.  What I love about Google Classroom is that the students watch the video within Google Classroom and aren't distracted by noticing any other YouTube videos. 

 

3. Then I gave the instructions for the main lesson where they were provided with a template and had to replicate it exactly.  I also recorded my instructions on the online program https://online-voice-recorder.com/, downloaded it and attached it to Google Classroom so that the students could listen to it at any time if they needed to, 

4. The students then created their houses in Google Sheets and when they had finished they turned them in. I was easily able to look at each one and assess it later on, and I returned their work to them with an encouraging comment made with my Bitmoji Google Chrome Extension.  

A couple more examples




I have to say - I LOVE using Google classroom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment